On all orders over $49.95 in
the continental U.S.
World Wide Shipping
Our customers are
Need Help? +805 314 2347
We are here to help
Money Back Guarantee
Your Satisfaction is Our
Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis), a perennial herb member to the buttercup (Ranunculaceae) family. Goldenseal is native to Canada (Quebec, Canada), and Eastern United States, (Ohio River Valley, West Virginia, the mountains of North and South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and north New England and Upstate New York). Native Americans have traditionally used Goldenseal (Root & Rhizomes) extensively, for skin disorders, ulcers, fevers, internal inflammatory conditions, canker sores and stomach issues. Wild living Goldenseal has been considered as endangered due to overharvesting. Regardless of Goldenseal being rare in the wild, it is commercially grown in abundance.
- The key constituents of Goldenseal found in the Root & Rhizomes of the plant are the Isoquinoline Alkaloids (Protoberberines): Berberine, Hydrastine, Berberastine, Hydrastinine, Canadine, Canalidine, Phytosterin, Albumin, Chlorogenic acid, Potassium. These Isoquinoline Alkaloids are found to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Goldenseal has shown to work synergistically when taken with supplemental Berberine, to have a more pronounced anti-viral effect and enhance its antibacterial activity. Providing Immune support [1,2].
- Goldenseal contains the naturally occurring Isoquinoline Alkaloid, Berberine. Berberine is well known for its various benefits and uses. Benefits of Berberine in Goldenseal have been shown to aid in regulating cholesterol levels, regulation & lowering of blood sugar/glucose levels, lowering blood pressure, and preventing E. Coli from binding to Urinary Tract walls, which may be helpful in Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) .
- Goldenseal is commonly combined with Echinacea to provide synergistic immune support.
- Goldenseal has been found to be helpful in digestive disorders, by soothing inflammation in the digestive tract, soothing acidity related to heartburn & acid reflux, which may help with ulcers. Anti-bacterial properties of Goldenseal have also been used help reduce gas & bloating from bad bacteria in the gut.
Suggested Use: Take 1 cap, 1-3 times per day or more often when in need, or as directed by a health care professional.
1. Cecil CE, Davis JM, Cech NB, Laster SM. Inhibition of H1N1 influenza A virus growth and induction of inflammatory mediators by the isoquinoline alkaloid berberine and extracts of goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis). Int Immunopharmacol. 2011 Nov;11(11):1706-14. doi: 10.1016/j.intimp.2011.06.002. Epub 2011 Jun 16. PMID: 21683808.
2. Ettefagh KA, Burns JT, Junio HA, Kaatz GW, Cech NB. Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis L.) extracts synergistically enhance the antibacterial activity of berberine via efflux pump inhibition. Planta Med. 2011 May;77(8):835-40. doi: 10.1055/s-0030-1250606. Epub 2010 Dec 14. PMID: 21157683; PMCID: PMC3100400.
3. Abidi P, Chen W, Kraemer FB, Li H, Liu J. The medicinal plant goldenseal is a natural LDL-lowering agent with multiple bioactive components and new action mechanisms. J Lipid Res. 2006 Oct;47(10):2134-47. doi: 10.1194/jlr.M600195-JLR200. Epub 2006 Aug 2. PMID: 16885565.