Selenium is an essential trace mineral that is required for many important biochemical functions in the body. In humans, selenium functions as a coenzyme for the antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase.
Glutathione peroxidase helps neutralize harmful peroxide free radicals. Selenium also plays an important role in the production of thyroid hormones. Selenium is a coenzyme for the enzymes which are responsible for the synthesis of thyroid hormones. These enzymes are important for the regulation of basal metabolic rate (resting metabolic rate-rate at which you burn calories). Studies show Selenium helps support the body’s antioxidant defenses and contributes to the growth of normal, healthy cells.*
- Provides 200 mcg of Selenium.
- FDA has approved health claims for selenium that indicate it may be helpful in preventing certain cancers.
- Provides a well absorbed, highly bioavailable form of this important trace mineral.
- Studies show selenium works synergistically with vitamin E to provide antioxidant support helping protect healthy cells, particularly red blood cells from free radical damage.*
- The broad composition of seleno compounds increases the absorption and bioavailability.
- Selenium helps support the functioning of the powerful antioxidant enzyme glutathione peroxidase (GPX). GPX helps neutralize damaging peroxide radicals, which can potentially cause damage to healthy cells and their DNA.*
- Studies show a high intake of selenium helps support a healthy prostate by promoting normal, healthy prostate cell growth.*
- Adequate intake of selenium helps support normal, healthy thyroid function and a healthy metabolism.*
- Some scientific evidence suggests that consumption of selenium may reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer.* However, the FDA has determined that this evidence is limited and inconclusive.